I was diagnose with sleep apnea last year. For all to know below is the extract from the web.
Obstructive sleep apnea Definition
Obstructive sleep apnea is a condition in which a person has episodes of stopped breathing during sleep.
Normally, the muscles of the upper part of the throat help keep the airway open and allow air to flow into the lungs. Even though these muscles usually relax during sleep, the upper throat remains open enough to let air pass by.
However, some people have a narrower throat area, and, during sleep, relaxation of the muscles causes the passage to completely close. This prevents air from getting into the lungs. Loud snoring and labored breathing occur. During deep sleep, breathing can stop for a short period of time (often more than 10 seconds). This is called apnea.
An apnea episode is followed by a sudden attempt to breathe, and a change to a lighter stage of sleep. The result is fragmented sleep that is not restful, leading to excessive daytime drowsiness.
It is important to emphasize that, often, the person who has obstructive sleep apnea does not remember the episodes of apnea during the night. The main symptoms are usually associated with excessive daytime sleepiness due to poor sleep during the night. Often, family members, especially spouses, witness the periods of no breathing.
A person with obstructive sleep apnea usually snores heavily soon after falling asleep. The snoring continues at a regular pace for a period of time, often becoming louder, but is then interrupted by a long silent period during which there is no breathing. This is followed by a loud snort and gasp, and the snoring returns. This pattern repeats frequently throughout the night.
Symptoms that may be observed include:
* Abnormal daytime sleepiness, including falling asleep at inappropriate times - not me I always a fighter. Fight to keep awake at work. At home could not help myself.
* Awakening unrefreshed in the morning - every time, poor me.
* Depression (possibly) - Sometimes, forgive me my poor wife
* Episodes of no breathing (apnea)
* Loud snoring - Cause my wife sleepiness nights. I also suffer when she wake me up every time I snore.
* Memory difficulties - Sometimes.
* Morning headaches - Regularly.
* Personality changes - This the part where my wife thinks I don't love her anymore.
* Poor concentration - Effect my application programming skills.
* Restless sleep - always.